MOSCOW, October 1 – Novosti. There are no victims among the Russians during the events in Burkina Faso, the situation is not yet dramatic and remains relatively calm, Russian Ambassador to the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso Alexei Saltykov told Novosti.
“In large cities, the situation remains calm, in fact, there were several shots and a siege of the presidential palace, but without the use of heavy artillery and any other military means. There are no casualties among the Russians. So far, the situation is not dramatic,” Saltykov said.
He stressed that the situation remains “relatively calm.”
Earlier, the media reported that a military group in Burkina Faso, led by Captain Ibrahim Traore, announced the removal of the head of the country’s transitional government, Lieutenant Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba, the suspension of the constitution in the country, the dissolution of the government and the closure of borders.
Rebels in Burkina Faso seized power on January 24 on behalf of the Patriot Movement for Preservation and Restoration, led by Lieutenant Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba, 41. They announced that they had dismissed the president of the country, Rock Mark Kabore, the country’s government was dissolved, the constitution was suspended. Later, the rebels decided to restore the constitution.
October 1, 02:13ECOWAS condemns military takeover in Burkina Faso